7 January 2013

Note To Self: Never Accept Rides From Family Members - They Always Want Something...

Which is exactly how I found myself 'volunteering' to help my aunt move home.
I should have figured, seeing as it's very unusual for them to offer me rides so nicely. Usually I have to wear them down for a while, and make them feel sorry for me before they cave. So I shouldn't have been surprised when my uncle missed the turning into my street and headed straight to his old place. Maybe the fact we were in the minivan in the first place should have also given me some concern.
And if there is one thing I hate, it is moving. I just moved out myself, so packing somebody else's stuff wasn't exactly high on my To Do List. Not even halfway down really... likely not even on my list... But oh well, the things you do (or are forced to do) for family. But I've always found something slightly depressing about stuffing your life into boxes, especially once you're done and you stare at the small pile and think 'That's three years of my life, all neatly packed... doesn't take up much space, does it?'. 
I actually wish there were some sort of invention that sucked all of the stuff you own into some sort of vortex storage area, something easily carried, so you can set it down in your new place and have everything put into place with the click of a button. All in the same order of course, I'm not good at organising and wouldn't want to have to put all my books back into place. 
But sadly, technology is not so far advanced and we must rely on man (or in my case woman) power. Which I have almost none of - power, of course. I barely have energy to lift myself out of bed in the morning let alone help carry a wardrobe down the stairs. Add to that my innate lack of balance and you have the perfect recipe for disaster. Luckily, I wasn't the only one drafted to help out, else that lowering of a bookcase down the balcony could have ended very badly. As it was, we struggled to lower it. And I still maintain it was scratched before we even touched it!
But still, we managed to get most of the stuff out which led to phase 2: playing Tetris in the back of the van. Now that was fun. We had to re-arrange everything twice, before it was decided we'd better leave some stuff behind for next time... as if they'd be able to trick me into helping twice! Ha!
But oh well... after the massive detour I finally got dropped off at my place, successfully having avoided getting the bus. Small victory? Maybe.
But next time, I might be better of trying my luck at the bus station.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent blog! May I just point out that it's your own fault you were picked to help someone move bookcases and furniture downstairs as clearly you enjoy playing Tetris (as Phase 2 shows)and the two are very similar; both have odd shapes moving vertically that require moving and twisting in order to get them where you want them and to avoid disaster. You were asking for it!
    Keep up the good work, I enjoyed the read.

    ReplyDelete