4 October 2012

Growing Old is Inevitable, But Growing Up is Optional

Although some people do take that concept quite far... 
And by people, I mean older women dressed like teenagers that from behind look like they could be any age between 25 and 55. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that you still feel young at heart, but honestly, that strapless top isn't doing you any favours. And to men who still think they can pull off baggy jeans, I think most of us would prefer not seeing your bum crack. It's not a pleasant visual experience.
If there is something that really makes me cringe, is those mother-daughter duos which we need to examine very closely in order to determine which is which. They go shopping together, pick out the same clothes, and then try them on. This then turns into a fascinating display of shamelessness as they both begin to try on slinky dresses and totter out on mile high heels, making it easier to establish who the mother is. Namely, the one that can pull off neither of these items.
In general, I think people should learn how to age gracefully. It's not all about how you look. I'd rather be able to hang out with my parents, and talk to them one-on-one about the important stuff than have them bond with me over a "shared" fashion sense. It makes me feel that these people are trying too hard to hang onto their youth, and are missing out on other things that become more important as you become older. It's the same concept of a child wanting to be older and not enjoying their childhood while it lasts. 
It's funny that as kids, when asked our age we would always answer with "I'm going to turn..." showing how desperate we were to get older. Whenever my sister says that, I have to fight the urge to shake her while saying: "Enjoy 10 while you can! You'll never get it back."
There's a beautiful poem called 'On Turning Ten' about this exact thing. I wish I could go back and make my younger self read this, then maybe I would spend more time enjoying being a child than wishing I was already an adult so my parents couldn't boss me around (which by the way, is not true. Even at 21 they still try to manage my life).
The way I see, life's in stages for a reason. We're not meant to spend our lives looking back or forward. There are so many things to miss if were not living in the present. It's hard to avoid falling into the trap of thinking how life could be better, or was better. I often find myself daydreaming about the future, only to be bitterly disappointed when things don't turn out the way I imagined. But there comes a point where we have to teach ourselves to stay rooted in the present.
I know growing older sucks, but as long as we keep young at heart things shouldn't be too bad.


No comments:

Post a Comment