2 January 2014

How to Make New Friends in Public Toilets

These might just be my favourite type of conversations. Drunken people piping up because some other girls are talking about something that interests them. And it’s totally OK. There’s something about the setting of a girls’ toilet that makes strangers become friends in the short time they spend washing their hands and touching up their make-up.

This New Year’s Eve I found myself casually chatting to some Kardashian wannabes. Girls who’d never spare me a second glance out front, were actually chatting to me and Random Girl #1 about possible clubbing locations. The most amusing bit was, this girl in her platform heals and overly revealing dress (I honestly thought it was on backwards due to the amount of cleavage) were looking for somewhere they could, and I quote, ‘blend in’. Random Girl #1 turned to look at me, and I swear in that drunken moment we both were tempted to blurt out ‘Strip Club’. Luckily Random Girl #2 stepped out of a cubicle at that point and swooped in to save the conversation, directing the Kim and Khloe (I cast her as Khloe due to the unflattering pink dress she was bursting out of) lookalikes to a nearby club.
By then, our first toilet break was over and we proceeded outside where we were, predictably, ignored by the Kardashian Krew.
During our second journey to the toilet, we noticed our toilet breaks had synced up to Random Girl #2’s. Only this time, with no Kardashians around (they’d already flounced off to some other more trendy club with ‘like, proper music’) we ended up fangirling over Disney’s Frozen. My friend and I were discussing when to watch it, and  RG#2 got involved by singing its praises. A conversation which evolved into a discussion about Disney films becoming more adult-friendly recently.
Trip number three had us bumping into RG#2 once more. This time I engaged in a conversation about the DJ, his music choices and hair dyes (apparently her boyfriend had dyed his beard bright red) while I waited for my friend to come out.
Other favourite public toilet moments include:
·         The time I had an argument with a girl for not liking the same film as her (I forget what film it was, shows how much I enjoyed it) and a girl backed me up from inside a cubicle.
·         The time a drag-queen came into the girls’ toilet, and proceeded to teach my friend how to do her make-up.
·         And last, but not least, the time where these three guys dressed as cheerleaders burst into the toilet and started doing an improvised cheer. They tried every cheesy pick up line ever written, and one of them actually got a girl’s number (to be fair, he was rocking that skirt).

For whatever reason, there seems to be a magical atmosphere in public toilets, especially when alcohol becomes involved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment